Oxygen generators extract oxygen from the air to be used for medical, commercial, or industrial purposes. This oxygen generators wiki was designed to help answer all of your oxygen generator questions, courtesy of On Site Gas. We will cover both portable oxygen generators and industrial oxygen generators.
How Do Oxygen Generators Work?
Many people wonder how an oxygen generator works. Oxygen generator technology functions by collecting atmospheric oxygen for commercial, industrial, and medical applications. Nitrogen is also removed in order to create oxygen with up to a 99 percent purity.
The process starts when the machine takes in normal atmospheric air, which is a combination of 21 percent oxygen, 78 percent nitrogen, and a few other trace gases and particles. In order to increase the percentage of oxygen, the nitrogen must be removed and vented. This can be accomplished via a VPSA oxygen generator or a PSA oxygen generator. Both remove nitrogen and store oxygen in a tank for immediate or later use. The difference is how the nitrogen is removed. VPSA oxygen generators utilize two different blowers (displacement and vacuum), while PSA generators simply use differentiating pressure levels to remove nitrogen and move oxygen into the storage tank.
PSA Oxygen Technology
At On Site Gas, we utilize Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) technology for oxygen generation. This method uses variations in pressure to create concentrated oxygen.
Oxygen generation with PSA technology has the ability to create oxygen with a 95 percent purity. This is accomplished with our Pure Convenience line of PSA oxygen gas generators. In order to achieve higher oxygen levels, our PSA oxygen generators remove the nitrogen via a molecular sieve filled with pressurized air. As the pressure increases, the sieve absorbs the nitrogen and vents it out. The remaining oxygen is moved to a storage tank where it can be used for various commercial and industrial applications.
Advantages of a PSA Oxygen Generator
There are many reasons why PSA oxygen generators are ideal for commercial, industrial, and medical use. One of the main PSA oxygen generator benefits is that they have the ability to create 95 percent pure oxygen. Here are a few more PSA oxygen generator advantages:
- Ability to Change Parameters
- Affordable Purchase and Installation Costs
- Automated Process
- Fast Installation
- Low Energy Consumption
- Mild Operating Conditions
What Applications Oxygen Generators Are Used For
So, what are oxygen gas generators used for? Oxygen generators are used in a variety of industries to supply oxygen, operate equipment, or help in certain manufacturing processes. Common industries where our oxygen generators are used include mining operations, welding and cutting operations, metallurgy industries, glass making, wastewater treatment, and in laboratories and medical facilities. Some oxygen generator applications include:
- Mining Operations – Oxygen generators supply miners with breathable oxygen when they are underground.
- Welding and Cutting – Our generators are used in oxy-acetylene welding to create high heat flames.
- Medical and Healthcare – Certain medical patients require an additional, direct supply of oxygen. Oxygen generators ensure that they have breathable air at all times.
- Metallurgy – Oxygen generators are used to reach higher temperatures in forges and furnaces.
- Laboratories – Our generators create higher levels of oxygen saturation for use in research, experiments, and sanitization.
- Wastewater Treatment – Oxygen helps facilitate a faster breakdown of organic materials, which is why oxygen generators are useful for improving water treatment efficiency.